Photography Credits : The Canvas Co
This is a very delayed post but I think this is the appropriate time to write it. So I turned 26 last year and I wanted to write 26 life lessons I have learnt. As my birthday draws nearer I find myself reflecting about my life. My direction and my decisions.
Here are my 26 life things I have reflected on since my birthday :
- Life is not a race: When you get to your mid 20s and you haven’t achieved any of the things you thought you would have by this age you start comparing your life to other people’s lives. Your life is a journey not a race.
- Work hard. Work smart. I realised that I have been coasting in life. managing to get by with minimal effort. everything you do in this life requires effort. Hard work will pay off at the end of the day.
- Boundaries are important.
- Be an original. Do it your way not the popular way.
- It is ok to try new things and fail. Failure is a time to recoup and deliberate. You won’t know unless you try and you won’t get better unless you try.
- Self discipline is the ultimate tool to making anything happen. It is the driving force behind hard work.
- I need to be financially independent and financially responsible. Understanding the value of money will make it go further.
- Constant self reflection is a must. Constantly question your purpose and look at what you are doing.
- Pray for patience, wisdom and clarity all the time
- Define every relationship in your life. This will save you a lot of unnecessary stress and it will make dealing with people in your life more simple.
- Guard you heart jealously. People will try it ! But you need to be discerning about who you allow into your heart.
- God is involved in all aspects of my life. For me my relationship with God is what keeps me going. It keeps me grounded and focused on the bigger picture. Especially when everything seems to be going wrong in my life. God is the only being that keeps me sane.
- Self acceptance:What people think of me is none of my business. Adopt this principle and I promise you you will begin to live a more free and happy life. Self Acceptance is something I have struggled with my entire life. Accepting who I am and loving myself exactly as I come.
- The law of attraction is real. That is why is still need to vision board the hell out of your life. What you say about yourself becomes true. So speak and think positively. You can do anything you set your mind to.
- I am just too much for some people and it’s ok. Another one of life’s tough pills to swallow. I have a very strong personality and I can be a bit much, but it’s who I am. As long as I am not deliberately hurting someone then let me be me.
- I will disappoint people. Say sorry and move on from that. Sometimes nothing you say as an explanation is good enough.
- I am enough as I am where I am with what I have.
- Respect the process: There is no rush for life to happen. From my dream job to finding the love of my life. Every season we go through is there to build us into the people we need to be.
- I refuse to allow how other people who have hurt me to change me. I will continue to love openly and live openly. Don’t let what one person did to hurt you define how you deal with every new person you meet. It is easier said than done, but you need to make a conscious decision to love and live openly.
- Take calculated risks. No change ever came from a comfort zone. Now I am the queen of my comfort zone but no change is happening so I am literally forcing myself to step out of my comfort zone and I will be updating you guys on how that goes.
- Have more than one source of income.
- Real friendship is a dim a dozen. My friends have literally become an invaluable support system.
- You will breakdown on your journey but it is part of making you strong. The break downs, the disappointment, the depression it is all part of building character.
- Detours. There will be too many on the road to success. Be ready for your goals to go through metamorphosis it is part of the process.
- Be stubborn about your dreams and goals but be flexible in your methods.
- Set small achievable goals with results you can monitor and evaluate. Small goals are what achieve big goals.
Last but not least. Love yourself.
I hope my 26 things will inspire someone out there. I find that reflecting on what I have learnt rather than what I have done is teaching me to be aware of life and myself.
Well I hope you enjoy this nice long read.
Love and Light